Julie's career in Central Florida has spanned more than 13 years! She is a meteorologist and a reporter and on October 6th, 2014 she became part of the Local 6 Morning News team guiding our neighbors through traffic with ease.
As the Local 6 Traffic Anchor and a mom, she loves helping viewers get to school, work or where ever they might be going on time. “She knows the roads inside and out and can get our viewers around traffic, out the door and where they are going on time with a smile on their face,” said Skip Valet Vice President/General Manager of WKMG-TV.
[IMAGES: Click my faves]
Julie arrived in Orlando in 2001 and covered hurricanes Charley, Frances and Jean in 2004, along with our historic hurricane season in 2005. While forecasting is her first love, Julie also loves being in the community. When she's not providing traffic reports or filling in on the weather, she enjoys reporting on the lighter side of the news.
Prior to moving to Central Florida, Julie worked as an on-camera meteorologist in Chicago; Evansville, Ind.; and Oak Hill, W.V. Julie is a graduate of Indiana University and completed her meteorology studies through Mississippi State University. Julie is a member of National Weather Association Seal.
Julie enjoys volunteering in the community and has served on the Board of Directors for the Orlando Gay Chorus. She is passionate about animal welfare and has helped hundreds of animals find their "forever homes" through her efforts with Pet Rescue by Judy.
Julie reads a lot, and needs your book recommendations! When she's not helping you start your day on the Local 6 Morning News, you'll find her reading, writing, keeping up on the latest natural parenting news, and taking a ridiculous amount of photos of her daughter. She also calls herself a "non-recovering caffeine addict" (a necessity on the morning show!).
You can catch Julie weekday mornings on the Morning News from 5-7am. She also loves to get social, so connect with her on Facebook at facebook.com/julielocal6 and follow her on Twitter @julielocal6.
- Favorite Restaurant: Bosphorus Winter Park Village
- Favorite Food: Depends on the day. Does Mamaw Broughton's chicken and dumplings count?
- Favorite Genre Of Music: Pop
- Favorite Musical Group/Singer: The Wiggles, closely followed by The Doors and Justin Timberlake
- Favorite Web Site: I'm ashamed to admit this, but Facebook
- Favorite Author: It's a tie between James Patterson and Augusten Burroughs, depending upon my mood
- Favorite Book: Running With Scissors
- Favorite Sport: Basketball
- Favorite Team: Orlando Magic, of course
- Favorite Movie: Gone with the Wind and Shawshank Redemption
- Favorite TV Show: Dexter
- Favorite Actor/Actress: Reese Witherspoon and Morgan Freeman
- Favorite Quote: "A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
- Place You Would Love To Visit: Tahiti