These tips can help you to communicate more easily despite your hearing loss.
- Position yourself to hear. Face the person with whom you're having a conversation.
- Turn off background noise. For example, noise from a television may interfere with conversation.
- Ask others to speak clearly. Most people will be helpful if they know you're having trouble hearing them.
- Choose quiet settings. In public, such as in a restaurant or at a social gathering, choose a place to talk that's away from noisy areas.
- Consider using an assistive listening device. Hearing devices, such as TV-listening systems or telephone-amplifying devices, can help you hear better while decreasing other noises around you.