911 call released in girl's electrocution at mini-golf course
11-year-old was visiting Orlando from New York
Authorities on Friday released a 911 call made after an 11-year-old girl was electrocuted while retrieving her golf ball from a pond at a mini-golf course at a Celebration resort.
The Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner said Ashton Jojo was electrocuted around 2:10 p.m. Wednesday at the Orange Lake Resort on West Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway.
A witness called 911 requesting medical assistance.
"This little girl fell into the water -- she was trying to get the ball -- and there was electricity in the water," the caller said, later adding that others were performing CPR on the girl.
"Tell them to continue until the ambulance gets there," the 911 operator said.
A building safety department official said on Thursday that the electrocution was likely caused by a possible faulty pump connected to an improper circuit breaker.
Orange County sheriff's deputies said Ashton was playing Putt-Putt when her ball went into a pond. Deputies said Jojo went to retrieve the ball and then screamed.
A guest tried to rescue her but was unable. He was also injured, deputies said.
Ashton was taken to Celebration Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Officials said Ashton, who recently celebrated a birthday, was visiting Florida from New York with her family.
"Orange Lake Resort holds the safety and well-being of our guests and employees as our top priority and concern," the resort said in a statement. "The miniature golf facility where the incident happened is closed and will not re-open until further notice. Our thoughts and prayers are with the guests, their families and friends during this time. The resort staff will continue to cooperate fully with local authorities in their investigation."
Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.
Copyright 2012 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.