Casey Anthony civil case won't focus on her murder trial

Defense attorneys to fight murder trial evidence from surfacing in defamation case

Published On: Oct 04 2012 06:30:46 AM EDT   Updated On: Oct 04 2012 12:45:38 PM EDT
Casey Anthony new video
ORLANDO, Fla. -

Attorneys for Zenaida Gonzalez, who is suing Casey Anthony for defamation, agreed with Anthony's representatives that that civil case would not focus on her murder trial, unless it's unavoidable.

"All this stems from a series of lies about our client," said John Dill, Gonzalez's attorney, at a court hearing on Thursday. "I look forward to asking her about it and having her there listening to the evidence in the case."

Gonzalez filed the lawsuit after Anthony claimed in 2008 that her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee, had been kidnapped by a nanny with a similar name to Gonzalez.  The nanny later was deemed to be fictitious, and Anthony's defense team said during her murder trial that Caylee had drowned in her family's swimming pool and had not been kidnapped.

Caylee's body was later found in a wooded area near the Anthony family home.  Casey Anthony was found not guilty in her daughter's death was released from jail.

At the Thursday hearing, it was decided that if Gonzalez's attorneys believe there's evidence from the murder trial that become relevant to their case, they will approach the judge for a ruling.

Anthony's civil case is currently scheduled to go to trial in January 2013, but her attorneys are seeking a change of venue.  A hearing will be held in the matter in late October.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.