Brevard County health officials have issued an alert on Monday after a coyote that attacked a Malabar woman tested positive for rabies.
The 54-year-old victim was taken to Palm Bay Hospital last Wednesday after she was attacked by a coyote in the 500 block of Hall Road. Officials said treatment has been started for the woman.
Brevard County Sheriff’s deputies said a woman called to report her mother-in-law had been bitten by a coyote. The caller said she shot the dog.
Brevard County Animal Control and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission also responded to the scene to deal with the coyote carcass.
Health officials are asking residents to respond to the warning by:
· Reporting any strange behavior of all animals observed.
· Avoiding direct contact with wild animals.
· Having all cats and dogs immunized against rabies.
· Immediately reporting any animals running at large.
· Prompt and complete reporting of all animal bites sustained by any individual.