A local family was forced out of their home Wednesday night after their heater caught fire.
The fire broke out just before 9 p.m. in Altamonte Springs at an apartment complex off Northlake Boulevard.
Seminole County firefighters said a family turned on their heater and something inside the unit caught fire.
Soon smoke was pouring out the roof. Everyone made it out safely, while a 15-year-old neighbor called 911.
"I was laying down in my bed and I started to smell smoke, so I ran to my dad's room and told him I started to smell smoke, then I called police," said Joshua Pink.
Firefighters said damage was contained to the heating unit, but they turned off electricity to the apartment as a precaution.
The Red Cross is now helping the elderly man, woman and young boy who lived in the apartment find a new place to stay. Everyone else was allowed back inside their home.
Firefighters recommend getting your heater serviced and changing you filter, before turning on the heat.