Altamonte Springs family forced out after heater catches fire

Firefighters say family turned on heater, something inside unit caught fire

Published On: Nov 13 2013 10:28:05 PM EST
Altamonte Springs apt fire
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. -

A local family was forced out of their home Wednesday night after their heater caught fire.

The fire broke out just before 9 p.m. in Altamonte Springs at an apartment complex off Northlake Boulevard.

Seminole County firefighters said a family turned on their heater and something inside the unit caught fire.

Soon smoke was pouring out the roof. Everyone made it out safely, while a 15-year-old neighbor called 911.

"I was laying down in my bed and I started to smell smoke, so I ran to my dad's room and told him I started to smell smoke, then I called police," said Joshua Pink.

Firefighters said damage was contained to the heating unit, but they turned off electricity to the apartment as a precaution.

The Red Cross is now helping the elderly man, woman and young boy who lived in the apartment find a new place to stay. Everyone else was allowed back inside their home.

Firefighters recommend getting your heater serviced and changing you filter, before turning on the heat.