TITUSVILLE, Fla. - Brevard County officials say a condo complex destroyed by fire may need to be condemned.
The fire broke out Thursday night in a third-floor unit in the La Cita subdivision in Titusville.
Firefighters said 15 units were impacted when flames erupted. Titusville Batallion Chief Scott Gaenicke said the building is now essentially a shell, with residents' belongings collapsed in the middle.
Families have been speculating about the cause of the fire.
"[We heard] somebody put a towel in the microwave on the third floor and when they yanked the towel out it caught on fire," Gaenicke said. "That's still trying to be determined. The state fire marshal's office is interviewing people and talking to them and looking at the evidence to see if that correlates."
"Oh, my God, when I saw those flames I was just, like -- everybody was just screaming," said Kathleen Baker, who is one of dozens of residents forced from their homes before all three floors of the building collapsed on top of one another.
Watch Local 6 News and stay with ClickOrlando.com for updates on this story.
Copyright 2014 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.