Brevard firefighters rescue dog trapped in burning home

Homeowner brought to tears when she realized her dog escaped house fire

Author: Ashleigh Coran, Producer, acoran@wkmg.com
Published On: Nov 28 2013 07:40:04 AM EST   Updated On: Nov 28 2013 09:35:47 AM EST
Dog in fire
MIMS, Fla. -

A homeowner was brought to tears when firefighters saved her dog from a burning house fire.

The fire broke out just before midnight Wednesday on the 1800 block of Cowan Drive, north of Titusville.

According to fire officials, the homeowners escaped the flames with one dog, but was unable to find the other.

Firefighters went inside the home, and found the dog in a room filled with smoke. The dog was rushed to a rescue unit where crews administered oxygen and wrapped it in warm dry towels.

The owner was brought to tears when the two were reunited. One dog died in the fire, according to authorities.

None of the residents inside the home were injured in the fire.

BCFR determined the fire started in the kitchen from an appliance.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.

A second fire ignited earlier Wednesday night in Merritt Island at a home on Ebb Tide Avenue.

Five people -- two adults and three minors who were inside the home at the time -- escaped. Four of them lived at the home, officials said. The family dog died  following smoke inhalation.

The family sought shelter with relatives early Thursday and will be assisted by Red Cross, according to officials.