Candle sparks fire at Fla. home, killing cat

Headline Goes Here

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - A southwest Florida man is recovering form second degree burns after a fire broke out at his home.

Pinellas County deputies responded to 30-year-old Joseph Phanphilathip's home in St. Petersburg Sunday morning. They believe the fire may have been caused by a citronella candle left burning on the back porch.

Phanphilathip's cat died from smoke inhalation.

It is estimated that the fire caused $50,000 in damage to the home.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.