Central Florida man dies from brown recluse spider bite
Ronald Reese was bitten in August, officials say
Central Florida authorities are reporting a rare death from a spider bite.
Polk County Medical Examiner Stephen Nelson told The Ledger that Ronald Reese, of Lakeland, died Feb. 16 from complications of a spider bite.
Reese's father says the 62-year-old had been bitten in August by a brown recluse spider. H.K. William Reese says his son required lengthy hospital stays and numerous procedures for six months after the bite.
Few statistics on deaths attributed to spider bites are available. According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, only two people died from spider bites between 2001 and 2005. Both were believed to be caused by brown recluse spiders.
The brown recluse spider is one of just a handful of spiders that are dangerous to humans.