Fla. starts accepting jobless claims again

New online system now up and running, state officials say

Headline Goes Here

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Unemployed Floridians are starting to file for jobless claims again.

State officials said that a new online system used to process unemployment insurance claims was up and running Tuesday morning. The old system used by the state was shut down last week.

Monica Russell, a spokeswoman for the Department of Economic Opportunity, said that by mid-afternoon more than 14,000 people were able to file for assistance.

An additional 1,400 people were also able to file for unemployment insurance for the first time.

Florida is replacing a three-decade-old claims system with a new $63 million system.

State officials last week warned of longer wait times and busier phone lines as Floridians adjust to the new system.

An estimated 235,000 people in Florida receive unemployment benefits every two weeks.

Copyright 2013 by ClickOrlando.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.