ORLANDO, Fla. - Cities and counties across Central Florida are hosting Memorial Day ceremonies to allow the public to honor the servicemen and women who gave their lives for their country.
Orange County War Memorial Rededication
10 a.m. at Orange County courthouse in Orlando
- Mayor Teresa Jacobs and the Orange County Veterans Advisory Council will be joined by guest speaker Rear Admiral Al Harms, USN (ret.).
Woodlawn Memorial Park Ceremony
10 a.m. at 400 Woodlawn Cemetery Rd. in Gotha
- Rifle volley, Taps and the tolling of a replica Libery Bell to honor the dead of all wars.
10 a.m. at 1603 Greenwood St. in Orlando
- American Legion Post #19 and Ladies Auxiliary VFW will lay a wreath and perform Taps.
"We Remember Them" Ceremony
11 a.m. at Glen Haven Memorial Park in Winter Park
- Radio personality Bud Hedinger leads event featuring singer Charles Haugabrooks, the Winter Springs JROTC, VFW Post 2093 band and more.
American Legion Post 286 Ceremony
1 p.m. at 529 E. Fairlane Ave. in Orlando
- Memorial Day service followed by barbecue from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Meals cost $7. Homer Stiles performs from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Parade and Remembrance Ceremony
10 a.m. at First Street and Sanford Avenue in Sanford
- Parade runs along First Street to Park Avenue, turning north on Park Avenue leading to the flag at Veterans Memorial Park. The ceremony begins at 11 a.m. at the park. Appearances and entertainment include the Tuskegee Airmen, a helicopter flyover, a 21-gun salute, military vehicles and the Vietnam Museum.
Lawton House Grounds Remembrance Ceremony
9 a.m. at 200 West Broadway in Oviedo
- Volunteers will set up 385 crosses with grapevine wreaths to honor the fallen Florida heroes of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.
Remembrance Service 2014
9 a.m. at Rockefeller Gardens in Ormond Beach
- Colonel Victoria Leignadier, U.S. Army (ret.) will moderate the 90 minute ceremony. The Daytona Beach Concert Band will perform and Major Patricia Hayden, USAFR-NC will be the keynote speaker. Guests will be given a carnation to place beside the Memorial Marker during a procession at the end of the ceremony.
Annual Memorial Day Ceremony
10 a.m. at Veterans Park in Port Orange
- VFW Post 3282 hosts the ceremony across from City Hall.
Flagler County Memorial Day Ceremony
10 a.m. at 1769 East Moody Blvd. in Bunnell
- Major General John A. Leide, U.S. Army (ret.) will serve as the event's guest speaker. Volunteers will place a wreath at the Veterans Monument at the Government Services Building. The local chapter of the Girl Scouts of America will lay a daisy wreath at the monument as well.
Heroes Memorial Park Ceremony
8:30 a.m. at 2860 Palm Coast Pkwy. in Palm Coast
- Monday's guest speakers include Col. Gary E. DeKay (ret.), Commandant Jack Marshall of the Marine Corps League Detachment 867 and Commander Ronald Stark of Palm Coast VFW Post 8696. The flag presentation will be conducted by the Flagler Palm Coast High School Air Force JROTC, the Matanzas High School Army JRTOC and the U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps' St. Augustine Battalion.
Cocoa Riverfront Park Tribute
6:45 p.m. at 401 Riveredge Blvd. in Cocoa
- The guest speaker will be Staff Sgt. Anthony Gower, USMC. Entertainment includes patriotic music, period costumes and a special flag-folding ceremony.
Osceola Memory Gardens Ceremony
8:30 a.m. at 1717 Old Boggy Creek Rd. in Kissimmee
- The Osceola County Veterans Council and other groups will perform the ceremony. Light breakfast refreshments will be served.
Waterfront Pavilion Observance
11 a.m. at 330 Third Street in Clermont
- The Lake Minneola High School band and Lost Lake Elementary school chorus will perform. The public is encouraged to bring small items to donate for packages for the troops overseas.
Copyright 2014 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.