ORLANDO, Fla. - Orange County school leaders approved a plan on Tuesday to seek out private donors in the community to raise money for improvements as state funding continues to fall.
The "Philanthropic Strategic Plan" lists eight goals and creates eight separate funds for each goal. The district will partner with The Foundation for Orange County Public Schools to raise and manage the money.
The eight goals include:
- Full-day pre-kindergarten
- Licensed nurses in every school
- Literacy tutoring for at-risk students
- "Read2Succeed" and middle school morning book clubs
- Access to Science, Technology, Engineering & Math classes
- Bridging the "digital divide"
- "City Year Orlando"
- Suspension centers
Individual schools would still be allowed to raise money for their own initiatives.
Copyright 2013 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.