TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is offering tips on safely preparing food this holiday season.
Each year, one in six Americans are affected by foodborne illnesses. To prevent that, the Department of Agriculture has five pieces of advice for Floridians:
- Wash your hands, surfaces and utensils often during food preparation.
- Keep raw foods away from cooked foods to avoid cross-contamination.
- Thaw frozen turkey in the refrigerator or under cold-running water. Never defrost the turkey at room temperature.
- Cook food to the proper temperature. When cooking a turkey, use a thermometer to be sure you have cooked your turkey the proper safe temperature of 165 degrees.
- Cook the stuffing separate from the turkey to avoid bacterial growth.