ORLANDO, Fla. -

Fire rescue officials say firefighters have stopped a gas leak which forced the evacuation of several condominiums at an Orlando resort.

Orange County Fire Rescue was notified at 1:50 p.m. Friday of the leak at 8800 Vistana Center Drive by a 911 caller reporting a construction crew struck an underground gas line.

The first fire crews confirmed an active leak and worked with resort security officers to evacuate the buildings in the immediate area, authorities said.

Specially trained firefighters dug into the ground to expose the leaking gas pipe and clamp it off. Officials said additional fire crews stood by with hoses to ensure the flammable gas did not ignite.

Once the leak was clamped, rescue officials said firefighters did a sweep of the area using gas meters to determine there was no residual gas.

Guests were allowed to return to their condos at that time and officials said the scene was turned over to a local gas company for permanent repairs.

Orange County firefighters would like to remind everyone that if you are doing work that involves digging to check for underground utilities. They say those doing such work may call 811 or visit call811.com.