Central Florida students hospitalized after eating German candy

Daytona Beach middle school students complained their hearts were racing

Published On: Dec 24 2013 05:29:53 AM EST   Updated On: Sep 05 2013 11:35:11 AM EDT
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -

Two Volusia County middle school students were rushed to a hospital on Wednesday after eating some vitamin-enriched candy from Germany.

[LISTEN:  911 call]

A Volusia County School District spokeswoman said a boy took the candy, called Nimm 2, to Hinson Middle School in Daytona Beach on Wednesday and shared it with two 12-year-old girls.

The two seventh-grade girls then complained their hearts were racing and a school nurse called 911.

Paramedics transported both students in an ambulance to a nearby hospital.

District Spokeswoman Nancy Wait said the girls were taken to the hospital as a precaution and underwent several tests. The girls returned to school on Thursday, Wait said.

Wait said the boy brought the candies from home and there did not seem to be any sort of malicious intent involved.

Nimm 2 is touted as Germany's best-known candy. According to the company's website, they are fruit flavored gummies, full of juice and vitamins.

The company's website says the candies are called Nimm 2 because you only need to eat two a day for a vitamin supplement.

The district does not know how many candies the girls consumed before becoming ill.

Although there's no school policy against taking candy to school, Wait said the boy will be disciplined because the incident caused a disruption.

Hinson Principal Julian Jones sent a recorded message to all parents Wednesday afternoon, notifying them about the incident and asking them not to send candy to school with their students.

"We would also like your support reminding students that it is not advisable to eat candy, or other things that you are not familiar with," said Jones.

Nimm 2 candies have been sold in Germany for decades. They are available for purchase over the Internet, but Local 6 could not find them readily available in local stores. Local 6 also did not find any other reports of people getting sick after eating the candies.