ORLANDO, Fla. -

Two people at the University of Central Florida were exposed to an unknown powder, later found to be salt, in a mailroom, prompting school officials to alert students.

The incident occurred at the Neptune Housing mailroom.

Orange County Fire Rescue tweeted Tuesday morning that two patients were complaining of itching after coming into contact with the unknown powder in a package. 

The duo has been isolated, but they refused to be taken to a hospital, fire officials said.

The package was being tested by a hazmat team and was found to be magnesium sulfate. It's not clear where it came from.

School officials sent alerts to students, advising them to avoid the area.

No other details were immediately known.

Watch Local 6 and stay with ClickOrlando.com for more on this story.