OCALA, Fla. - Ocala firefighters said food left unattended on the stove was the cause of a fire just before midnight Saturday evening, resulting in one civilian receiving significant burn injuries.
Ocala Fire Rescue responded to a mobile home fire at Oaktree Village, located at 4037 Northwest Blitchton Road.
On arrival firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the double occupancy mobile home, with two residents outside, officials said.
Firefighters said the tenant told fire officials that he had fallen asleep with food on the stove.
Firefighters said a neighbor smelled smoke, and called 911.
The neighbor and the tenant then used several fire extinguishers on the fire involving the kitchen. firefighters said.
Fire officials said the mobile home valued at $25,000 suffered an estimated $6,000 in damage to the structure and the contents.
The tenant suffered significant smoke inhalation with non-life threatening burns involving the hands and feet, and was transported by ambulance to a local hospital, firefighters said.
Copyright 2012 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.