Man sentenced to 17 years in prison in baseball bat attack on women in Orlando
Juan Carrillo accepts plea deal
A man charged with attempted murder in a baseball bat attack on two women in Orlando was sentenced Monday to 17-and-a-half years in prison.
Juan Carrillo, 48, accepted a plea deal in the beating and robbery, which occurred in February at the Grande Downtown Condominiums in downtown Orlando on South Street.
Judge Janet Thorpe told Carrillo he showed "callous disregard" for either of the two victims as he beat them with a metal bat.
"By the grace of God these gals," she told Carrillo in court. "Especially being hit in the head, I may have been handling a murder case."
In court, he apologized to both victims, saying he was high on drugs at the time of the beating.
Thorpe sentenced Carrillo to 15 years in prison for aggravated battery, 17-and-a-half years for using a deadly weapon to commit robbery and five years supervised probation. He will serve the sentences concurrently.
Carrillo was arrested after police received a number of tips about the attack, which was caught on video.
One of the victims, Rebecca Naudasher, suffered a head injury in the beating and emailed Local 6 shortly after Carrillo was arrested in February.
Emerging from court on Monday, she said she left "justice" in the hands of the court and is satisfied with the shorter sentence.
"I got hit in the head. I could have died instantly," she told Local 6. "I think about that every single day."
"Our doctors were surprised we didn't crack anything in our skulls," said Catherine Nguyen, who was beaten alongside Naudasher and robbed.
Previous to the baseball bat beating, Carrillo had been arrested twice, once on charges of being a fugitive with warrants out of Connecticut and in 2010 on charges of aggravated battery.
Watch Local 6 News and stay with ClickOrlando.com for more on this story.