SANFORD, Fla. -

A memorial service will be held Tuesday for a Sanford boy who died from a brain-eating amoeba.

Jordan Smelski, an 11-year-old who had just completed fifth grade at Wilson Elementary School, was vacationing with his family in Costa Rica when he was infected by the amoeba while swimming.

Amoebas can live in warm fresh water, and while infections are rare, they are often deadly.

A visitation will be held at the Baldwin-Fairchild Funeral Home in Sanford. His funeral will be held Wednesday.

Smelski's family says they are now setting up a foundation in his name to raise awareness about the danger.