Mother, 2 children escape DeLand house fire

Water heater malfunction sparks blaze

DeLAND, Fla. - A woman and her two children managed to escape a house fire early Friday in DeLand.

The fire broke around 3 a.m. out at a home on Clake Avenue near Stetson University.

Fire officials said the heating element in the water heater malfunctioned, sparking the blaze.

The mother and children, a 5-year-old girl and an 8-month-old boy, were not injured.

An investigation is ongoing.

Copyright 2013 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.