NEWTOWN, Conn. - Neighbors of the Newtown, Conn., elementary school where 20 children and six adults were shot dead last year are expressing relief as workers tear down parts of it.
Demolition of the Sandy Hook Elementary School is expected to take several weeks.
Bill Clark lives across the street. He says he believes it's going to take a long time for the community to heal. He said Friday town officials are "going to put up another beautiful school" and residents are going to move on.
A task force of Newtown officials voted unanimously in May to raze the school and build a new one on the property where the existing school is located.
Newtown has accepted a $50 million state grant for the project. A new school is expected to open by December 2016.
Copyright 2013 by ClickOrlando.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.