DeLAND, Fla. - An 80-year-old woman suffered serious burns to most of her upper body Monday evening when she dropped a cigarette in her lap and her dress caught fire, officials said.
The DeLand Fire Department received an emergency call around 6 p.m. and went to a home in the 600 block of East Minneola Avenue.
According to fire officials, the woman told firefighters that she had been smoking and dropped the cigarette. She suffered serious burns to about 65 percent of her upper body, fire officials said.
The woman was airlifted to a hospital. Her condition was not immediately known.
The fire remains under investigation.
Copyright 2012 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.