ORLANDO, FLa. - Central Florida authorities say they're monitoring movie theaters closely in the wake of the shooting at a Colorado movie theater on Friday morning. Orange County Sheriff's Office is advising moviegoers to not wear costumes to the theaters in wake of the shootings.
A heavily armed gunman attacked an Aurora, Colo., movie theater early Friday, tossing tear gas before opening fire on the terrified audience and killing 12 and wounding 38, authorities said. The theater was showing the new Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises."
Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said on Friday he is directing commanders to personally make contact with theater management in Central Florida, along with high patrol presence.
Demings said he would also brief OSCO personnel on preparedness and response.
OSCO released a statement, saying, "Our agency personnel have constantly maintained training commensurate with active shooter situations and are staying informed on what has tragically unfolded overnight in Colorado. We remain vigilant and request the same from our community."
The theaters under OSCO's purview are located at:
- Alafaya Trail in Waterford Lakes
- SouthChase 441/SouthChase
- Pointe Orlando International Drive
- Disney Village Walt Disney World/Buena Vista Drive
Other county agency protocols are as follows:
- Osceola County Sheriff's Office said The Loop, located in uncorporated Osceola County, is the only theater in the area and they pay for off-duty authorities, as they have from their opening.
"We will continue to work with them and also discuss the most recent incident in Colorado with them," said Twis Lizasuian of Osceola County Sheriff's Office. "If they desire additional resources we can address it with them at that time."
- Lake County says they are encouraging local theaters and moviegoers to report any suspicious people or activity and increasing patrols around theaters.
- Seminole County said they have established off-duty authorities at the AM Star Cinema in Lake Mary and the movie theater at the Ov
Watch Local 6 for more information.
Copyright 2012 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.