Firefighters saved a puppy from a home after it caught fire.

The fire broke out around 11 p.m. Thursday at house on Nansen Avenue near the intersection of Groton Street.

According to firefighters, there was smoke coming from the roof of the home when they arrived.

After searching to make sure no one was inside, firefighters found a puppy and rescued it from the burning home.

Neighbors who were awakened by the commotion said firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly.

The state fire marshal is investigating how the fire started.