FORT MYERS, Fla. - Bacteria that lives in saltwater infected seven people in southwest Florida, including two who later died.
Lee County health officials say a Florida resident in his 50s died last month after going into the Gulf of Mexico with an open wound. A tourist who was over 60 years old died in July, also from Vibrio vulnificus.
Health department director Dr. Judith Hartner told the News-Press of Fort Myers that Lee County typically sees about five cases of the bacteria a year. She says most cases are not serious.
Five others were infected with less-dangerous Vibrio varieties.
An 84-year-old woman had her leg amputated at a Naples hospital after becoming infected with the bacteria. But officials say it's unclear whether she became infected in southwest Florida or the Tampa area.
Copyright 2013 by ClickOrlando.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.