Sinkhole swallows Florida home

Crews called to Dunedin neighborhood

Published On: Nov 14 2013 07:13:45 AM EST   Updated On: Nov 14 2013 09:10:52 AM EST
Dunedin sinkhole
DUNEDIN, Fla. -

A sinkhole opened Thursday morning in Dunedin, swallowing a home and forcing the evacuation of others.

The sinkhole, estimated to be at least 35 feet in diameter and 30 feet deep, opened near a home on Robmar Road in Dunedin. 

Video shows a portion of the home crumbling into the hole.  A patio also caved in and a boat was on the edge of the hole.

Homeowner Michael Dupre said the family heard a noise early Thursday that sounded like a sledgehammer pounding on a wall.  He says he's been concerned about a sinkhole opening and had a sinkhole prevention company pouring grout into the home's foundation over the past two days.

Several nearby homes have been evacuated and a neighboring pool appears to be cracking.

Dunedin fire officials and other crews were called to the home to assess the situation.

Hundreds of sinkholes form every year in Florida.

In August, one gobbled up a condo building in the town of Clermont.  Earlier this year, a sinkhole swallowed and killed a Florida man who was in a bedroom of a Seffner home.

Watch Local 6 News and stay with ClickOrlando.com for more on this story.