ORLANDO, Fla. - The Consumer Federation of America and the North American Consumer Protection Investigators release a national survey outlining American consumers' top 10 complaints.
The survey used 38 agencies across the U.S., who provided information about the most common complaints received in 2011.
- Auto: Misrepresentations in advertising or sales of new and used cars, lemons, faulty repairs, leasing and towing disputes
- Credit/Debt: Billing and fee disputes, mortgage modifications and mortgage-related fraud, credit repair, debt relief services, predatory lending, illegal or abusive debt collection tactics
- Home Improvement/Construction: Shoddy work, failure to start or complete the job
- Retail Sales: False advertising and other deceptive practices, defective merchandise, problems with rebates, coupons, gift cards and gift certificates, failure to deliver
- Utilities: Service problems or billing disputes with phone, cable, satellite, Internet, electric and gas service
- Services: Misrepresentations, shoddy work, failure to have required licenses, failure to perform
- (Tie) Internet Sales: Misrepresentations or other deceptive practice, failure to deliver online purchases
Landlord/Tenant: Unhealthy or unsafe conditions, failure to make repairs or provide promised amenities, deposit and rent disputes, illegal eviction tactics
- Fraud: Bogus sweepstakes and lotteries, work-at-home schemes, grant offers, fake check scams, the grandparent scam and other common frauds
- Real Estate: Timeshare sales and resales, retirement communities and assisted living facilities, real estate fraud
- (Tie) Household Goods: Misrepresentations, failure to deliver, faulty repairs in connection with furniture or appliances
Home Solicitations: Misrepresentations or failure to deliver in door-to-door, telemarketing or mail solicitations, do-not-call violations
Copyright 2012 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.