Take steps before hurricanes threaten
Develop Emergency Plan
Published On: Apr 10 2012 11:37:24 AM EDT Updated On: May 11 2009 10:52:08 AM EDT
The following list is a guideline of steps people should take in preparation for hurricane season.
- Develop Your Own Emergency Plan
- Take Red Cross First Aid and CPR classes.
- Plan to relocate if you live either in a mobile home or an evacuation zone.
- Know your evacuation zone and route, and the elevation of your home above sea level.
- Plan to obtain supplies necessary to protect your property and for survival. Since windows are not usually blown out but knocked out by flying debris, windows should be boarded, not taped.
- Arrange for safekeeping of your pets or animals. Most shelters will not accept pets.
- Make a complete inventory of your personal property.
- Review your insurance policies. Homeowners insurance will not cover flood damage.
- Know what documents you will need to establish home ownership and make insurance claims.
- Stock non-perishable food items and water for your family to last one week. Once a watch is issued, these items disappear quickly from store shelves.
- Trim or remove trees that can damage your home.
Copyright 2012 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.