College application checklist
For high school seniors, now is the time to start narrowing down their college lists and start getting serious about applying. To help you get organized, take a look at the following checklist to make sure you are on track.
- Try to finalize the list of colleges you want to apply to.
- Arrange campus visits to any colleges you want to apply to but still haven’t seen.
- Look at the application deadlines for each of the colleges you want to apply to. Also look at the early-decision deadlines.
- Finalize your college essay. Also check to see if the colleges you are applying to require additional essays.
- Request recommendations from teachers and guidance counselors.
- Start looking into scholarships.
- Take the ACT or SAT if you still need to.
- Send in early-decision applications.
- Talk to your guidance counselor about how to get copies of your transcript sent to colleges.
- Have your ACT or SAT scores sent to the colleges you are applying to.
- Collect recommendation letters.
- Start to apply for regular-decision admissions to colleges.
- Apply for regular-decision admission to colleges. Most colleges have a Jan. 1 deadline.
- Obtain financial aid materials to start getting the needed paperwork in order.
- Submit applications for any remaining schools you didn’t already apply to.
- Start applying for financial aid.
- Based on where you’ve been accepted, start to narrow down college choices.
February – May:
- Narrow down college choices. Most schools will require a decision by May 1.
- Apply for financial aid.
- Apply for student housing.
- Apply for scholarships.