Florida boy's death shows powerful opioid's chilling potential
Nnclear how fifth-grader Alton Banks came in contact with drug
MIAMI – Authorities in Miami believe a 10-year-old boy died of a fentanyl overdose after visiting a local pool last month, marking one of the youngest deaths in the opioid crisis.
It's unclear how Alton Banks came in contact with the drug, but investigators aren't ruling out the fifth-grader's walk to his Overton home, after leaving the pool. The neighborhood has seen a spike in overdoses this year.
In a press conference, Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said investigators don't believe Banks got the dangerous drug at his home.
She believes the boy could have simply touched the substance, and that it could have been on a towel at the pool.
Copyright 2017 by WKMG ClickOrlando. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.