78ºF

Woman dies of bacterial infection after eating contaminated oysters

photo

JASPER COUNTY, Texas – A woman died of a bacterial infection from eating contaminated oysters.

KTVT reports Jane White Cunningham, 56, died Thursday after originally being hospitalized in Mississippi with a severe infection.

The infection was so severe, Cunningham's legs and left arm were amputated in hopes of stopping the spread of the infection.

Doctors believe Cunningham's infection came from the oysters she ate which contained the Vibrio bacteria. Vibrio is found in coastal, warmer waters where oysters are found.

Anyone who suffers from nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea after eating raw oysters should immediately be seen by a doctor.

Doctors also suggest eating fried oysters instead of raw.