CLEWISTON, Fla. - An 11-year-old boy is recovering at Kendall Regional Hospital after playing the so-called "fire challenge," a game in which people douse themselves with alcohol, light themselves on fire and post the video on Facebook, YouTube or other social media outlets.
The boy, Derick Robinson, told WPLG-TV in Miami that he was playing with his older brother and three other friends Tuesday at their home in Clewiston. Robinson said his cousin showed him a video on Facebook showing a teen lighting himself on fire; Robinson admitted he wanted to try it.
Robinson's mother, Keyesta Pouch, said she was asleep in another room when she heard her son's screams. She said she found him in the shower after having burned himself.
Robinson was rushed to an area hospital and then transferred to the burn unit at Kendall Regional Hospital.
Robinson's message to other kids: Don't play the game.
"Some people die from it, and it [hurts] real bad," he said.
Copyright 2014 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.