Flames reignite at Merritt Island home

Blowtorch sparked initial blaze, firefighters say

Local 6: Morning News at 6a
Local 6: Morning News at 6a

MERRITT ISLAND, Fla. – Firefighters returned to a Merritt Island neighborhood Thursday morning after flames reignited at a home.

A fire broke out Wednesday at the Neptune Drive home, and firefighters extinguished the blaze around 5 p.m.

Fire officials used thermal cameras to check the house before leaving, but firefighters say they believe the fire may have not have been completely been put out. 

Firefighters say wind probably fueled areas that were still smoldering, sparking the second blaze.

Officials say a man using a blowtorch while conducting plumbing work ignited the fire initially.