Neighbor kicks in door, saves man from fire in downtown Orlando apartment
Victim pulled from blaze
ORLANDO, Fla. – A man was rescued from his burning downtown Orlando apartment by a quick-thinking neighbor who kicked in his door, fire officials said.
The fire broke out around 11:40 p.m. Sunday at the apartment complex on Lakeview Street near Lake Ivanhoe.
Witnesses told Local 6 that they heard glass shatter seconds before smoke filled the area.
"There was smoke coming out like crazy. It was just wild," a resident said.
Residents ran from the building, but one neighbor, identified by fire officials only by the name Daniel, went into the burning apartment -- after kicking in the door -- and rescued a man who was trapped, officials said.
"A very kind neighbor," a firefighter said. "He was able to kick in the door and pull the victim out to the front hallway area."
Details of the trapped man's injuries were not immediately known. He told Orlando fire officials that he accidentally started the fire, but no other details were released.
The fire was contained to one unit.
Officials said there do not appear to be any criminal charges in the case.
No other injuries were reported.
Watch Local 6 News and stay with ClickOrlando.com for more on this story.
Copyright 2014 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.