65ºF

Passengers question tram safety after deadly OIA incident

Local 6 News at 6:00p
Local 6 News at 6:00p

ORLANDO, Fla. – Passengers who were shocked to learn of Friday's deadly tram incident at Orlando International Airport have expressed concern about riding the people movers, but airport officials maintain they are safe.

Tram service ran normally Monday. The tram whose windshield peeled off after a sudden stop had its windshield replaced over the weekend before it was put back into service.

Airport officials said an investigation into the accident that killed 32-year-old Adam Lee is underway. Police said a friend allowed Lee to board the tram and drive it in manual maintenance mode. He died after a sudden stop ejected him while at the controls.

[RAW VIDEO: Tram accident at OIA | PHOTOS: Adam Lee]

So far, spokeswoman Carolyn Fennell said airport officials have no indication there is a larger safety issue with the windshields or the trams themselves. But several passengers expressed reservations to Local 6 Monday.

Meanwhile, a newly released police report names the tram employees who are accused of allowing Lee to access the controls. They are identified as Joseph Lollo, 30, and Nicolas Valentiz, 25.

Fennell said the workers, who are contractors with tram operator Bombardier, have had their airport badges revoked.

Orlando police said detectives are still looking into Lee's death. They said it is too early to say if charges will be filed against Valentiz or Lollo.