85ºF

Civil rights group holds rally outside Orlando City Hall to demand chief's resignation

Orlando Police Chief John Mina says complaints down 10 percent

Local 6 News at Noon
Local 6 News at Noon

ORLANDO, Fla. – Two groups called on the Orlando City Council on Monday to seek out the resignations of those behind the most recent case of excessive force leveled against the police department.

A witness recorded the arrest of Noel Carter, 30, Hollywood, on his cell phone near the corner of Orange Avenue and Colonial Drive on June 4.  

20255894

The video shows Orlando police officer David Cruz repeatedly kick Carter as he sat on the ground.

The video also shows Officer Charles Mays use a stun gun on Carter.

The officers said he was intoxicated and wasn't cooperating.

They were cleared of any wrongdoing in a departmental review, but were assigned to desk duty.

Carter's attorney Natalie Jackson addressed the Orlando City Council meeting to ask the council to terminate the two officers involved in the incident.

The National Action Network called on the city council to seek out the resignation of Police Chief John Mina.

Monday morning, Mina defended his officers and the department, explaining "excessive force" complaints are down 10 percent from last year.

He says the University of Central Florida will be conducting a study on the use of force within the Orlando Police Department.

The June 4 incident was not caught on police body cams, as neither officer was wearing one.

Coincidentally, the Orlando City Council approved a measure seeking funding for more police body cameras.

The June 4 incident is the latest in a series of allegations of excessive force against the department.

Many of the allegations have been proven false, but some have resulted in criminal charges.

Former Orlando police officer Peter Delio was criminally charged with battery for kneeing a suspect in the stomach so hard that the suspect's spleen ruptured.

A lawsuit filed against the city claims the man went untreated for hours.

Delio faces a pre-trial court hearing on Tuesday in Orange County.

Asked if he would resign his position, Mina said he had no intentions of leaving the department.


About the Authors: