Hearing continued in excessive force case against Orlando police officer
Peter Delio accused of kneeing man in custody
ORLANDO, Fla. – A hearing involving an Orlando police officer accused of using excessive force against a man in custody has been continued.
A pretrial hearing for Officer Peter Delio, who faces felony battery charges for allegedly kneeing a man in the stomach while he was handcuffed in a holding cell in August, was scheduled for September 29.
Delio was captured on surveillance video kneeing Robert Liese, who was injured so badly that he had to undergo surgery for a ruptured spleen.
Delio was reprimanded for the conduct and suspended for a week without pay.
After a review of the case, however, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement decided to pursue criminal charges of excessive use of force against Delio.
On Monday, a civil rights group called for the resignations of those behind the most recent case of excessive force leveled against the police department.
On June 4, a witness recorded the arrest of Noel Carter, 30, of Hollywood, on his cellphone near the corner of Orange Avenue and Colonial Drive. The video shows Orlando police Officer David Cruz repeatedly kick Carter as he sat on the ground. It also shows Officer Charles Mays use a stun gun on Carter.
The officers said Carter was intoxicated and wasn't cooperating.
The officers were cleared of any wrongdoing in a departmental review but were assigned to desk duty.
Carter's attorney, Natalie Jackson, addressed the Orlando City Council meeting to ask the council to terminate the two officers involved in the incident.
The National Action Network called on the city council to seek out the resignation of Orlando Police Chief John Mina.
When asked if he would resign his position, Mina said he had no intentions of leaving the department.
Mina defended his officers and the department, explaining "excessive force" complaints are down 10 percent from last year.
Mina said the University of Central Florida will be conducting a study on the use of force within the Orlando Police Department.
The June 4 incident was not caught on police body cams, as neither officer was wearing one. Coincidentally, the Orlando City Council on Monday approved a measure seeking funding for more police body cameras.
Copyright 2015 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.