Heroin task force meeting held in Orange County
Leaders gathered on Monday to find out how big the heroin epidemic is in Central Florida.
The Orange County Medical Examiner presented numbers of heroin-related overdose deaths in Orange and Osceola counties.
Orange & Osceola County Heroin Related Deaths & Orange County Specific:
- 2011 – 19 Heroin-Related Deaths (14 in Orange County)
- 2012 – 26 Heroin-Related Deaths (20 in Orange County)
- 2013 – 49 Heroin-Related Deaths (32 in Orange County)
- 2014 – 90 Heroin-Related Deaths (75 in Orange County)
- 2015 – 101 Heroin-Related Deaths (82 in Orange County) – the Medical Examiner’s Office still has numbers coming in for 2015
Congressman John Mica says despite seeing only a 5 percent increase statewide, Central Florida has been hit hard.
The presentation comes days after a two-year investigation between federal, state and local agencies busted a drug trafficking ring that sold heroin to people along International Drive.
Copyright 2016 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.