2 men arrested after long car chase in Brevard

Chase went on for half hour through central, north Brevard


TITUSVILLE, Fla. – Police said they apprehended two men who led them on an estimated half-hour car chase through central and north Brevard County late Saturday.

Police said they tried to pull over a black Nissan Sentra at 11 p.m. and the car fled. The first reports came in from Grissom Parkway near Fay Boulevard and the chase weaved in and out from U.S. 1 to SR 405, and finally onto SR 46.

Police used stop sticks near Main Street in Mims to stop the car. Speeds were reported at 100 mph at one point.

The two men got out of the car and tried to flee, but they were caught by police. Both men had drugs and one of them had a loaded gun at the time of their arrest, police said.

Cameron Dawes, 26, of Titusville was arrested and charged with felony fleeing and eluding law enforcement, occupied burglary of a dwelling, aggravated assault of a law enforcement officer, resisting arrest without violence and possession of marijuana. Dawes is being held in the Brevard County Jail without bail.

Joshua Green, 30, of Titusville was arrested and charged with battery on a law enforcement officer, battery on a law enforcement officer K-9, resisting with violence, possession of firearm by convicted felon, possession of ammunition by convicted felon, possession of cocaine and possession of heroin. After fleeing on foot from the car, Green was taken to a local hospital for treatment from injuries sustained while being apprehended by a sheriff K-9.

During the apprehension and resisting arrest, Green was also seen battering the K-9. The K-9 was not injured in the incident. Green was treated for minor injuries and released prior to being taken to the Brevard County Jail, where he is being held without bail.

Original story:

Police were chasing a speeding car late Saturday from Grissom Parkway in the Port St. John area all the way through Titusville on Knox McRae and in the Draa Field area.

The vehicle reportedly was running cars off the road heading in the wrong direction on U.S. 1.

It had passed down Sisson Road on up to SR 405 and toward 50 at one point.

The chase went onto Carpenter Road and heading toward I-95.

At least six patrol cars and a helicopter were tailing the car.

The chase had been going on about a half hour.

At 11:40, the car hit stop sticks on SR 46, and the occupants bailed from the car.

At 11:44 p.m., police reported they apprehended the two occupants of the vehicle after a short foot chase near a bait shop.