1 dead, 2 injured from chemical exposure in Florida

Incident under investigation


TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – A 48-year-old woman has died after being exposed to a sulfide-based cleaner at a Tallahassee scrapbooking business.

Media outlets report that according to a statement from the Tallahassee Police Department, Alda Skvereckas was one of five people exposed to chemical odors Thursday afternoon inside the Flying Unicorn Scrapbook business.

Two of the injured were treated and released at the scene, and three were taken to the hospital. Skvereckas was taken to Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare in critical condition and later died.

Tallahassee Fire Department Capt. Mike Bellamy says the other two were in stable condition.

A caller reported a rank smell to authorities around 2:40 p.m. The business was evacuated as a result, and Tallahassee Fire Department hazmat teams searched for the cause of the odor.

The incident remains under investigation.