TEHRAN – Iran will "retaliate" against the executive order limiting immigration from Muslim-majority countries signed by President Trump on Friday, according to an Iranian state news agency.
Iran's foreign ministry suggested the country will limit issuing visas to American tourists in retaliation for President Donald Trump's suspension of immigration and visas for nationals from seven countries.
The official IRNA news agency is carrying a statement by the Iranian foreign ministry that says Iran will resort to "counteraction" to Trump's executive order.
A federal law enforcement official said any non-U.S. citizen from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia or Yemen is now barred from entering the United States. That includes legal permanent residents -- green card holders -- and visa-holders from those seven countries who are not presently in the United States. They cannot return to the U.S. for 90 days under the temporary ban ordered Friday by President Donald Trump.
The official said there's an exemption for immigrants and legal permanent residents whose entry is in the U.S. national interest, but it's unclear how that exemption will be applied. Diplomats are also exempted.
The official said visa and green card holders already in the U.S. will be allowed to stay.
The official wasn't authorized to publicly discuss the details of how Trump's order is being put in place and spoke only on condition of anonymity.
Customs and Border Protection is notifying airlines about passengers whose visas had been canceled, or legal residents scheduled to fly back to the U.S., and the airlines are being told to keep them off those flights.
Stay with News 6 and ClickOrlando.com for more on this story.