68ºF

Candle sparks Orlando house fire

Woman taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries

ORLANDO, Fla. – A candle sparked a fire that heavily damaged an Orlando home and sent a woman to a hospital, officials said.

[LEARN HOW TO KEEP YOUR HOME WARM AND SAFE: Heater guidelines]

The fire was reported at 3:30 a.m. Tuesday on Lavender Court near State Road 408 and Goldenrod Road.

A man, his wife and their dog were inside the home, officials said. The woman was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, officials said.

A neighbor, who recorded video of the blaze, said he heard screaming before seeing the fire.

"The fire was through the roof on our arrival," a firefighter said.

Fire officials said a candle was left burning when the couple went to bed. 

The home is likely a total loss, officials said.

"The damage is extensive," the firefighter said.

The Red Cross will assist the couple.

Sign up for ClickOrlando breaking news alerts and email newsletters