2 families displaced from homes following fire, fire officials say
PCFR: Fire appears to be accidental
LAKELAND, Fla. – Two families were displaced from their homes following a fire in Lakeland early Saturday morning, Polk County Fire Rescue said.
Fire Rescue officials said the fire started around 1:15 a.m. in the kitchen of a home on the 1500 block of Moonlite Drive. When crews arrived, they found heavy smoke and fire in the back of the duplex.
The side of the duplex where the fire began sustained heavy damage to the kitchen, and smoke and water damage could be seen throughout the home, fire crews said.
Firefighters were able to put the fire out before it could spread to the adjacent duplex, but it did sustain smoke and water damage, Fire Rescue officials said. Utilities to both units have both been shut off.
Fire officials said the fire started on or around the stove area and appears to be accidental.
The woman who lives in the home where the fire began told fire crews that she cooked some food around midnight and then went to bed, Fire Rescue officials said.
A 40-year-old woman and her 6-month-old grandson lived in the unit where the fire began, officials said. The Red Cross was called to assist them. A 48-year-old woman and her 11-year-old son lived in the adjacent duplex. They declined assistance from the Red Cross, officials said. Each family also had a dog living in their unit. Both units had working smoke alarms, and no one was injured in the fire, Polk County fire officials said.
Copyright 2017 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.