Elderly woman killed in Winter Park apartment fire, officials say
2 smoke detectors in home lacked batteries
WINTER PARK, Fla. – An elderly woman died in an apartment fire Sunday morning, the Seminole County Fire Department said.
Firefighters said the woman was pulled from the apartment at 5224 Tangerine Ave. by a deputy and bystander who performed CPR on her until paramedics arrived. However, the woman died at the scene.
The Seminole County Fire Department said the woman, who was the only person home, had two smoke detectors, but neither had batteries.
The bystander and deputy were taken to an area hospital for smoke inhalation.
A dog also died in the fire, fire officials said.
The Fire Department reminded residents that it will install new smoke detectors, provide batteries and install the batteries in the detectors.
Copyright 2017 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.