93ºF

'Don't let people kiss your baby' says mom of weeks-old baby who died of meningitis

Likely someone with cold sore touched Mariana

Credit: WHO-TV
Credit: WHO-TV

IOWA CITY, Iowa – An Iowa infant died 10 days after being hospitalized after coming in contact with someone who had a cold sore, according to WHO-TV.

The NBC affiliate reports that Mariana was born a healthy baby girl on July 1, and six days later, doctors told Nicole and her husband, Shane, that Mariana had contracted meningitis HSV1. 

Doctors say it’s likely someone with a cold sore touched Mariana, who then touched her mouth, spreading the virus.

“Our princess Mariana Reese Sifrit gained her angel wings at 8:41 am this morning in her daddy’s arms and her mommy right beside her,” Nicole Sifrit posted on her Facebook page Tuesday morning. “In her 18 days of life she made a huge impact on the world and we hope with Mariana’s Story we save numerous newborns life.”

“I always thought this stuff happens and it’s a shame and never thought it would happen to me,” Nicole told WHO-TV last week. “I was not prepared at all. Keep your babies isolated.  Don’t let just anyone come visit them.   Make sure they are constantly washing their hands. Don’t let people kiss your baby and make sure they ask before they pick up your baby.”

A GoFundMe page has been set up for fundraising contributions for unexpected medical expenses.


About the Author: