WATCH: Vice President Pence talks to News 6 about federal response to Maria in Puerto Rico

Pence answers News 6's questions from FEMA headquarters

WASHINGTON – Vice President Mike Pence discussed the federal response to recent natural disasters, specifically in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria, with News 6 anchor Erik Von Ancken Saturday afternoon.

Pence said he and President Trump met with Gov. Rick Scott at the White House Friday for an update on Florida's condition after Hurricane Irma swept through the state less than one month ago, adding that he was pleased with the leadership shown by Scott and all agencies assisted throughout the state following the storm.

"It really is a testament to the strength of Floridians and to all of the enterprises that have come alongside to get the electrical grid back up and operational, that we've made the progress we've made," Pence said.

During the interview, Pence encouraged any Central Floridians who had not already applied for the federal assistance available to home and business owners through the Federal Emergency Management Agency to join the hundreds of thousands of Floridians who have.

Von Ancken asked Pence about the frustration experienced by many Central Floridians who have family in Puerto Rico, which was slammed by Hurricane Maria, and don't think the response has been effective enough, including that people who have collected supplies for victims of the storm are having trouble finding ways to transport them there.

Specifically in Puerto Rico, Pence said, FEMA has responded extraordinarily, and began responding even before Maria made landfall on the U.S. territory last week as a Category 4 storm.

Pence said he understood Americans frustrations, but assured them that action was being taken.

"I think that as the American people look at what's happening in Puerto Rico, they can be proud," Pence said.


About the Author: