Former police officer pulls gun on girlfriend, wife in Starbucks, police say

Former officer, deputy shot himself last month during standoff, records show

DeLand police say a former law enforcement officer threatened his wife and girlfriend with a pistol on Nov. 8, 2017 with a pistol.
DeLand police say a former law enforcement officer threatened his wife and girlfriend with a pistol on Nov. 8, 2017 with a pistol. (Getty Images)

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. – A former DeLand police officer threatened to shoot his girlfriend and wife in a Starbucks Wednesday after they confronted him with an allegation of cheating, according to police.

The aggravated assault allegations come one month after Theodore Melton, 52, was Baker Acted after shooting himself twice, records show.

Melton is an employee of Florida Hospital DeLand, according to police records. The Daytona Beach News-Journal reported that Melton is listed in state records as the owner of three DeLand Gun businesses. Melton was also previously employed as a deputy with the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office, a department spokesperson said.

The girlfriend told police that she was under the impression that although Melton was legally married, he had no relationship with his wife and was filing for divorce. After learning that was not the truth, she decided to tell Melton's wife about their relationship, according to the arrest report.

During the course of several phone calls with Melton, the victim told deputies she saw Melton's truck driving the wrong way headed to Orange City. She followed him into the Starbucks on South Woodland Boulevard where she saw Melton with another woman, according to the report.

The victim confronted Melton and told him that she was calling his wife. According to the girlfriend, Melton replied, "This is going to end badly for both of us."

Melton's wife arrived at the Starbucks, and both women walked into the coffee shop to confront him, police said.

The victim told police that Melton stood up when he saw them, closed his laptop and pulled out a pistol from his left front pocket and laid it on top of the computer.

"We all need to leave, or I will start shooting," Melton told his wife and girlfriend, according to the report.

The victim told deputies that even though she was afraid Melton would shoot her in the back of the head, she and Melton's wife turned around and walked out of Starbucks.

The victim went to the DeLand Police Department to report the incident. Melton's wife did not wish to complete a written statement, police said.

Approximately one month before the Starbucks incident, Volusia County records show Melton barricaded himself for 90 minutes and then shot himself twice in the stomach.

Melton was taken into custody under the Baker Act after the standoff, according to the report. It's unclear if he faces any related charges.

Melton is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection with the Wednesday incident.

About the Author: