Child given Narcan after ingesting methadone, Brevard deputies say
Woman arrested on child neglect charge
BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. – A child had to be given Narcan after ingesting methadone on Sunday, according to the Brevard County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies said the child grabbed and ingested Jacquelyn Donnelly's methadone while they were at a residence on Arthur Avenue in Cape Canaveral.
As a result, Donnelly's 2-year-old child suffered respiratory difficulty and had to be administered Narcan, the report said.
"A 2-year-old that was not breathing. It was given Narcan from the hospital in order to counteract the effects of that drug," Brevard County Sheriff's Office public information officer Tod Goodyear said.
The Narcan likely saved the child's life.
"(Methadone) is very toxic to a young child. We were lucky the child was able to be revived and will be OK," Goodyear said.
Donnelly is accused of failing to properly supervise the child and leaving the methadone within the child's reach.
She was arrested on a charge of child neglect without great bodily harm.
A judge on Monday set Donnelly's bond at $25,000, citing her criminal history that dates back to 2009.
Copyright 2019 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.